Thanksgiving Day is the ONLY holiday every single American celebrates. It is a day observed ladling up traditions at every opportunity; even if you're not doing what historically you have done, admit it - you're thinking or reminiscing about those things! But when it comes to wine selection there tends to be less tradition in play. For some that is the best part of the holiday - the vinous world is your playground! For others, what to serve or what to bring can overwhelm. We get it.
As part of our "made easy" series, we are offering up a few suggestions for going home with a winner or two.
If we can help with your specific feast or preferences, whether a consultation or shopping or both, don't hesitate to Click 2 Inquire. We relish overturning every rock (no minerality pun intended) to find stellar wines perfect for this time of year. And our holiday special is in play NOW through December 31, 2014!
Noble white varietals are thought the darlings of Thanksgiving. The best hail from cooler climates, offer mesmerizing aromatics which lure you in, are lower in alcohol, a tiny bit "fleshy," yet deliver a crisp, mouthwatering brightness.
- Et Fille "Deux Vert Vineyard" Viognier ~ Willamette Valley, OR
- Szoke "Mantra" Pinot Gris ~ Hungary
- Weinguut Jurgen Leiner "Handwerk" Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) ~ Pfalz, Germany
- Gundlach Bundschu DRY Gewurtztraminer ~ Sonoma, California
We hang our hat on discovering earthy, lightER bodied reds - with backbone. Beware of selecting a wine that's too big, which will just weigh you down given all of the food before you.
- Ravines Pinot Noir ~ Fingerlakes, NY
- Dominique Piron Coteaux Bourguignons ~ Burgundy, France
- Elena Walch Schiava ~ Alto Adige, Italy
- Ameztoi "Stimatum" Txakolina ~ Getariako Txakolina, Spain
Remember, with such a big, intense meal with so many different parts and varied traditions, there are countless wines to choose from. When it come to Food & Wine Pairing, the endgame is BALANCE!